PEERS PROGRAMME (educating pupils across all year groups)
A whole school allergy awareness approach includes educating pupils about asthma and allergies. If all pupils are allergy aware, and can recognise the signs of a severe asthma attack and anaphylaxis, the safer pupils with asthma and allergies will be in school. This programme supports schools to educate pupils about asthma and allergies.
It also raises awareness about the emotional impact allergies can have. Food allergies can make pupils stand out as different, and as a consequence they are at a higher risk of being bullied. Raising awareness by educating pupils across all year groups will also foster inclusivity and prevent social stigma and bullying.
The Peers programme provides ready to go lesson plans and resources to teach pupils across all year groups about asthma and allergies. This education programme is most appropriate for teachers and staff who deliver class-based lessons and have attended Asthma, Anaphylaxis & Allergy Awareness training within the last year.
PEERS PROGRAMME LIVE VIRTUAL TRAINING (90-minutes)
Book a 90-minute engaging live virtual training session on how to deliver an asthma & allergy education programme across key stages. Included are strategies to prevent bullying and promote inclusion.
- An update on asthma & allergies to refresh staff knowledge
- Careful communication and acting as a role model
- The emotional impact of having asthma and allergies
- Correcting misconceptions
- Demonstration on delivering KS1 & KS2 lessons for primary schools
- How to use resource activity sheets
- Demonstration on delivering lessons for secondary schools
- Demonstration on how to teach using an adrenaline auto injector
- Demonstration on how to teach using an asthma inhaler and spacer
- Examples of family newsletters and how to personalise.
- Secondary school PowerPoint presentation and lesson plan
- KS1 & KS2 lesson plans
- KS1 & KS2 activity sheets
- Information sheets that summarise information given on the course
COMMUNICATING WITH FAMILIES: Staff have access to family newsletter templates to send home termly, sharing information on asthma & allergies.
The Peers Programme costs £295.
A School Certificate is awarded on completion of the course. This can be framed and displayed in the school reception area to showcase your school’s high performance and
commitment to safely managing pupils with asthma and allergies.
Training is tailored to your school requirements and delivered on a date and time that suits you.
THE ASTHMA & ALLERGY-FRIENDLY SCHOOL PROGRAMME INCLUDES:
Professionals programme: £395
Prevention programme: £295
Peers Programme: £295
Pupil programme: £295
Policy programme: £295
Full package (all 5 programmes): £1,500